The Dungeon Masters Workshop - Getting feedback from your players.

Wow ….your actually back ….I'm not gunna lie man I didn't expect to see you again, I thought I really screwed last time up, plus this place is a tip its worse than before, the Manticore got out of its cage and the doppelganger is just taking my form and pissing about. I have no idea what I'm doing, can you help me out? Give some creative criticisms and helpful advice?

Ok ok, that was a real crowbar of an entrance to the subject I wanted to discuss, but I do believe constructive feedback on how we are doing as Dungeon masters is possibly one of the most useful things we can do.

I'm still a relatively new to the fine art of dungeon mastering and running a tabletop RPGs, and because of this, I have no idea what my strengths and weaknesses are. When I first started I just tried to pull off my best Matt Mercer/Chris Perkins/Matt Colville/my first DM/ Mark Hulmes impression, while also going a million miles a minute, I think I did this to try and run my players through the amazing story I had in my head , and god damn it, they were going to play through my story!

But of course I didn't know I was doing this , I was so nervous that it was only when I had the idea of sending out a really short 3 question questionnaire that I finally got some feed back and realised that this was a problem for me , I had a player who had never played DnD before ask me if I could be more descriptive with my language or maybe bring pictures to show what certain NPC's or monsters look like, which I now do , I show them images from the monster manual or i'll bring out my Ipad with an image of someone I think the NPC looks like. The truly great thing is that my language for describing peoples appearance and the way they act has now improved and now I almost don't need the pictures for NPC's, the monster manual just helps to get all the details into everyone's imagination. Another player wished there were more twists in the game that not even he was expecting ….which while being possibly one of the most unhelpful things he could have said did make me think of my narrative writing and think a little more outside the box for certain plot points which lead to some more unusual circumstances.

If I hadn't sent out my first questionnaire to players I could not have been able to refine my style as a dungeon master and while I'm still years away from full finding out what kind of DM I am, I believe I'm well on the way.

Thanks for reading this guy, if you peeps want to send out a questionnaire to your players here's a copy of the questions I sent out to my players, I hope you find it useful.


Bye for now peeps!

Jack

Questionnaire  


Hey guys it's time for my review again , I'm sending this out to everyone and everyone's responses will be kept secret from everybody else so if you have a problem with another player nothing will be said unless you wish it to be , please answer honestly , if there's something I'm not doing please tell me, if you have criticism please tell me honestly, creative Criticism will help me improve.

Firstly: are you enjoying the adventure so far? If yes please tell me why, if not please tell me why
Secondly: do you find the story compelling? If yes please tell me why if no please tell me why
Thirdly: do you enjoy the combat and find it challenging? explain why yes or no
Fourthly: do you feel like you have the freedom to make your own decisions in the game? Again explain yes or no
5: what would you like to see more of in our game?
6: is there anything I can do to make things better for our game?
7: is there anything that the other players could do to make the game better?
8: is there any advice for me as your DM that you would give me?
9: are you have fun?
10: how connected do you feel to your character and how can help you feel more connected to them?

Thanks for answering guys I take all feedback you guys give me, I hope you guys are enjoying our game, I send this out to improve the game for you guys and to improve my DM skills

Thanks

Jack

Comments